France slams Castro`s `holocaust` charge
Brussels: France on Saturday slammed Fidel Castro for accusing France of "racial holocaust" regarding its expulsion of Roma migrants, saying the former Cuban leader`s words were "unacceptable".
"The use of `holocaust` by Mr Castro demonstrates his ignorance of history and disdain towards its victims," said foreign ministry spokesman Bernard Valero.
"Such words are unnaceptable," he added.
France in August launched a controversial crackdown on illegal Roma and gypsy camps across the country, leading to hundreds of people being flown back to Romania and Bulgaria.
"That Fidel Castro shows an interest in human rights is truly revolutionary," the spokesman added.
Speaking in Havana on Friday, Castro said gypsies in France "are victims of the cruelty of the extreme rightwing in France" and "victims of another kind of racial holocaust."
Earlier this week, Thomas Hammarberg, commissioner for human rights of the Council of Europe, likened France`s rhetoric on the issue to that used by the Nazi and fascist regimes.
The European Parliament meanwhile adopted a non-binding resolution this week emphasising "the right of all EU citizens and their families to free movement and residence throughout the EU, a right which is a fundamental aspect of EU citizenship."
Euro MPs also stressed that "mass expulsions are prohibited" under EU law, "since they amount to discrimination on the basis of race and ethnicity."
The French government maintains it has been scrupulous in observing national and EU laws.
France has deported almost 1,000 Roma migrants to Bulgaria and Romania since President Nicolas Sarkozy`s government launched a high-profile security crackdown. More than 8,000 Roma have been deported from France since the beginning of the year, with 9,875 expelled throughout last year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know