France suspends arms sales to Egypt
Paris: France said on Saturday it has suspended sales of arms and riot police equipment to Egypt amid mass protests pressing for veteran leader Hosni Mubarak to step down.
The decision was taken by the Prime Minister`s office at an extraordinary meeting on January 27, and was conveyed to those concerned the following day, an aide to Prime Minister Francois Fillon said, confirming a report on the website of the daily Le Monde.
With regard to equipment used to maintain public order, "export permits for explosive materiel, mostly tear gas grenades, are the responsibility of customs. These were suspended on January 25," the aide said.
Egypt has been rocked by a popular uprising since January 25 seeking to topple Mubarak, in power for nearly 30 years.
The French government was recently challenged by the Socialist opposition as to why it had continued to allow exports of such products to Tunisia after the uprising which eventually forced long-time president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali to flee.
Fillon acknowledged that France had authorised the exports to Tunisia in November last year and January, until just before the departure of Ben Ali, but said the exports had not taken place.
In December and January, there had been "no deliveries of war material" to the Tunisian authorities, Fillon said, insisting that they needed the rubber stamp of a committee answerable to the Prime Minister.
The permits had been granted by the defence, interior and foreign ministries, "but none of them resulted in exports”, he said.
Foreign Minister Michele Alliot-Marie caused a storm last month when she suggested France could train Tunisian police to maintain order better, amid reports that they had shot dead dozens of unarmed protesters.
It later emerged that France had approved the export of police equipment to Tunisia at the height of the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof