France suspends delivery of warship to Russia
Paris: France is suspending the delivery of a hulking warship to Russia amid security concerns about Moscow's actions in neighbouring Ukraine, President Francois Hollande's office said on Wednesday.
The announcement comes a day before the start of a NATO summit and after months of pressure on France from allies to suspend the sale amid tensions between Russia and Ukraine.
Hollande's office, in a statement after he met with top defense advisers, called the fighting in eastern Ukraine "grave" and said Russia's recent actions harm "the foundations of security in Europe."
The Vladivostok, the first of two Mistral-class helicopter carriers ordered by Russia, was to be delivered next month. The second named Sevastopol, ironically, after a port in Russian-annexed Crimea has been slated for delivery next year.
Despite talk today of a possible cease-fire in Ukraine, Hollande said that's not enough to allow France to authorise the delivery of the Vladivostok. His office made no mention of the second warship.
As recently as July, Hollande said the deal was too costly to cancel, and even this week, his advisers had indicated that France was ready to go ahead with the first delivery.
In July, the president said that the Russians had paid for the ship, and France would have to reimburse 1.1 billion euros if it cancelled the delivery.
Unyielding to months of pressure from allies including from some U.S. Senators French officials had argued that France needed to respect an agreed contract, and said recent sanctions against Russia didn't apply retroactively to the contract agreed three years ago.
French officials have also argued that the ship would be delivered without any weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested