France to ban words `mother` and `father`
London: France is set to ban the words `mother` and `father` from all official documents under its controversial plans to legalise gay marriage.
The move, that has outraged certain sections, means only the word `parents` would be used in identical marriage ceremonies for all heterosexual and same-sex couples.
The draft law states that "marriage is a union of two people, of different or the same gender", the `Daily Mail` reported.
All references, according to the draft, to `mothers and fathers` in the civil code - which enshrines French law - will be swapped for simply `parents`.
The law would also give equal adoption rights to homosexual and heterosexual couples.
"Who is to say that a heterosexual couple will bring a child up better than a homosexual couple, that they will guarantee the best conditions for the child`s development?" Justice Minister Christiane Taubira told France`s Catholic newspaper La Croix.
"What is certain is that the interest of the child is a major preoccupation for the government," Taubira said.
The head of the French Catholic Church Cardinal, Philippe Barbarin, warned followers last week that gay marriage could lead to legalised incest and polygamy in society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion