France to ban words ‘mother, father’ from official documents
London: The French government has reportedly planned to ban the usage of the words ‘mother’ and ‘father’ from all official documents under controversial plans to legalise gay marriage.
This means only the word ‘parents’ would be used in identical marriage ceremonies for all heterosexual and same-sex couples.
According to the News Agencies, the draft law states that ``marriage is a union of two people, of different or the same gender``.
It further says “all references to ``mothers and fathers`` in the civil code, which enshrines French law, will be swapped for simply ``parents``.”
The law would also give equal adoption rights to homosexual and heterosexual couples, the paper said.
Meanwhile, the head of the French Catholic Church Cardinal Philippe Barbarin warned followers last week that gay marriage could lead to legalised incest and polygamy in society.
“This could have innumerable consequences. Afterward they will want to create couples with three or four members. And after that, perhaps one day the taboo of incest will fall,” the paper quoted him, as saying.
Leading French Catholics have also published a ``Prayer for France``, which said ‘children should not be subjected to adults`` desires and conflicts, so they can fully benefit from the love of their mother and father.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?