France to legalise ‘same-sex’ marriage
Wellington: French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault has confirmed that France would be legalising marriage and adoption for same-sex couples, which reflects a shift in the public attitude in the majority Catholic nation.
President Francois Hollande, who took office last month, had pledged to legalise gay marriage and adoption during his election campaign but had given no time frame.
Since Hollande`s Socialists won an absolute majority in the Parliamentary Elections, the conservative Union for a Popular Movement (UMP) party, which had opposed the measure under former president Nicolas Sarkozy, can do little to oppose the move.
“The government has made it an objective for the next few months to work on implementing its campaign commitments on the fight against discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity,” Stuffz.co.nz quoted Ayrault`s office, as saying, in a statement.
The statement from the Prime Minister`s Office did not confirm the time frame, but asserted that a law would be implemented.
In addition, the statement claimed that the government would hold discussions in the autumn on ways of making life easier for transgender individuals, whose dealings with French administration are often complicated by their change of name and sex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra