France to step up deportations of `thieves and beggars`
Paris: The French government, under fire for
sending thousands of Roma back to Romania and Bulgaria, on Tuesday
announced plans to step up deportations of foreigners caught
stealing or begging aggressively.
Immigration Minister Eric Besson, outlining measures to
fight illegal immigration and people trafficking originating
in Romania and Bulgaria, announced plans to change the law to
allow easier deportation of offenders.
"We must broaden the possibilities for issuing
deportation orders (for people who pose) a threat to public
order by repeated acts of theft or aggressive begging," he
Besson said he planned to add two amendments to this end
to an immigration bill that will be presented to parliament
late next month.
The minister was speaking at a joint press conference
with Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux, who noted that one in
five thefts in the Paris area was carried out by Romanian
Crime by Romanians -- France does not gather crime
statistics by ethnic groups, but many Romanians in Paris are
from the Roma minority -- in the French capital rose by 259
per cent over the past 18 months, he said.
"Today in Paris the reality is that the perpetrator of
one theft in five is a Romanian," he said, adding: "One theft
in four committed by a minor is committed by a Romanian
Hortefeux said the reality of the situation could be
seen by any citizen "as he sees women and children spend
entire days in appalling conditions in order to give their
spoils to a master back in the home country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof