France: Woman to marry slain soldier posthumously
Marsielle: The pregnant girlfriend of one of the French paratroopers murdered by Mohamed Merah is to be allowed to marry him posthumously, the family`s lawyer Gilbert Gollard said on Friday.
"We have just obtained from the Elysee (President Nicolas Sarkozy`s office) the authorisation for Abel Chennouf`s girlfriend to marry posthumously," Collard said.
Chennouf was one of two paratroopers shot dead in garrison town Montauban by self-confessed Al Qaida militant Merah during his killing spree in Southwestern France before he was shot dead by police on Thursday.
His heavily pregnant girlfriend, Caroline, attended a military commemoration ceremony in his memory on Thursday in a wheelchair.
The French President is authorised to allow posthumous marriages in certain cases.
The girlfriends of two policemen killed while on duty in the cities of Marseille and Lyon previously received similar authorisations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi