France world`s fourth largest arms exporter
Paris: France remained as the fourth largest exporter of defence equipment in 2010, with orders totalling EUR 5.12 billion (about USD 7.12 billion), while the US is still the world`s largest arms exporter, Xinhua reported.
The figure, however, was some 37 percent down from EUR 8.16 billion in 2009, due to the economic downturn last year, the Defence Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.
The US, the European Union, Russia and Israel took up about 90 percent of the world arms market from 2001 to 2010, it said.
The US is still the biggest defence equipment exporter, taking 53.7 percent of the global market while France only had six percent, maintaining its export value between EUR 5 and 10 billion during the past five years.
The world arms market was a highly competitive market, dominated by a small number of exporters, the ministry said.
"France is one of the few countries to master all the techniques," it added.
According to a report of the ministry presented to Parliament, 27 percent of French weapon exports went to the Middle East last year, 25 percent to Latin America and 18 percent to Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves