France world`s fourth largest arms exporter
Paris: France remained as the fourth largest exporter of defence equipment in 2010, with orders totalling EUR 5.12 billion (about USD 7.12 billion), while the US is still the world`s largest arms exporter, Xinhua reported.
The figure, however, was some 37 percent down from EUR 8.16 billion in 2009, due to the economic downturn last year, the Defence Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.
The US, the European Union, Russia and Israel took up about 90 percent of the world arms market from 2001 to 2010, it said.
The US is still the biggest defence equipment exporter, taking 53.7 percent of the global market while France only had six percent, maintaining its export value between EUR 5 and 10 billion during the past five years.
The world arms market was a highly competitive market, dominated by a small number of exporters, the ministry said.
"France is one of the few countries to master all the techniques," it added.
According to a report of the ministry presented to Parliament, 27 percent of French weapon exports went to the Middle East last year, 25 percent to Latin America and 18 percent to Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon