France`s Hollande slams `unjustifiable` assault on Roma teen
Paris: French President Francois Hollande on Tuesday slammed the brutal assault of a Roma teenager in a poor Paris suburb as an "unspeakable and unjustifiable" act.
In a statement issued by the presidency, he asked "that everything be done to find those responsible for this attack" that left the 16-year-old, who is accused of burglary, fighting for his life.
Prime Minister Manuel Valls joined Hollande in condemning the assault on the teen, who was found Friday evening in a supermarket trolley after being beaten by a dozen residents of a housing estate in Pierrefitte-sur-Seine north of Paris.
The teenager, who lived with his family and other Roma in a squalid camp sprung up around an abandoned house, was accused of breaking into an apartment in the estate just hours earlier.
"A group of several people came to find him and take him away by force," a police source said Monday, adding the boy was then locked in a basement where he was violently beaten.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?