Free Syrian Army leader warns rebels ‘might turn into terrorists’
London: The leader of the Free Syrian Army has warned that rebels in the country may ‘turn into terrorists’, and urged the outside world to back them before it happens.
“If there’s no quick decision to support us, we will all turn into terrorists,” General Mustafa al-Sheikh, said.
“If you apply the pressure that’s been applied to Syria, it will explode in all directions. Terrorism will grow quickly,” he added.
During an exclusive interview with the Daily Telegraph, Gen. Sheikh also said he welcomed UK Prime Minister David Cameron’s decision to engage with the rebels and even consider organising arms supplies.
He, however, added that war was spreading to surrounding countries, the rebels were fractured and speed was of the essence.
According to the paper, Gen. Sheikh has published a manifesto, demanding respect for Syria’s unity and for human rights, especially the rights of prisoners, which he wants all rebel leaders to sign.
He suggested it might even become the basis of a new Syrian constitution.
Gen. Sheikh said that Britain and other countries should tie aid to this manifesto - alleging that at the moment other rebel groups are better funded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Raghuram Rajan's reappointment as RBI Governor should not be of media's interest: PM Modi
- Can a car headrest be a rescue tool in emergency?
- Peace is a two-way street, remove self-imposed obstacle of terrorism: PM Modi tells Pakistan
- New Zealand plan first day-night Test against England in 2018
- PCB to send Mohammad Hafeez to England for knee-injury treatment