French arms exports to be worth over $10 bn in 2009
Paris: French arms exports will be worth EUR 7 billion (about USD 10 billion) in 2009, making it the fourth biggest weapons exporter worldwide, media reports said.
Laurent Collet-Billon, head of the General Delegation for Ordnance (DGA), government procurement agency, told French daily Le Monde that France will remain the fourth biggest arms exporter worldwide in 2009.
Despite the economic crisis, the 2009 global ordnance market will grow to EUR 700 billion, the newspaper said on its website on Saturday.
France`s arms export is expected to increases by more than 10 percent from a year earlier and is likely to keep growing in 2010, Xinhua reported citing the daily.
French arms export totalled EUR 6.3 billion in 2008, making it the fourth biggest exporter, after the US, Britain and Russia.
Laurent attributed the growth in 2009 to the sale of Rafale combat jets, adding that France hopes to reach an agreement with Brazil on the Rafale jets deal at the beginning of 2010.
France is also in negotiations with the United Arab Emirates on Rafale jets sale.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez