French arrest jihadist convert in Mali: Army
Paris: The French military spokesman says French forces in Mali have arrested a French citizen who converted to Islam, took on the jihadist cause and threatened France in a video last fall.
Col Thierry Burkhard said today that Gilles Le Guen was arrested this week north of Timbuktu, the fabled city which had been his base for some two years.
Burkhard says the military was interrogating Le Guen, thought to be in his 40s, but would hand him over shortly to Malian forces. He could eventually be expelled to France.
Le Guen appeared in a video last fall wearing a black turban and assault rifle at his side, threatening France if it intervened in Mali to chase out religious radicals. France sent troops to Mali in January.
Obama acknowledges rising hate crimes in American society
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!