French arrest jihadist convert in Mali: Army
Paris: The French military spokesman says French forces in Mali have arrested a French citizen who converted to Islam, took on the jihadist cause and threatened France in a video last fall.
Col Thierry Burkhard said today that Gilles Le Guen was arrested this week north of Timbuktu, the fabled city which had been his base for some two years.
Burkhard says the military was interrogating Le Guen, thought to be in his 40s, but would hand him over shortly to Malian forces. He could eventually be expelled to France.
Le Guen appeared in a video last fall wearing a black turban and assault rifle at his side, threatening France if it intervened in Mali to chase out religious radicals. France sent troops to Mali in January.
Obama acknowledges rising hate crimes in American society
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why