French court frees Kadhafi aide accused of embezzlement
Versailles: A French court on Wednesday
freed Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi`s former protocol chief,
who was arrested in France at the request of Tripoli on
suspicion of embezzlement.
The court in Versailles hearing Libya`s extradition
request ordered Nuri Al-Mismari to be freed because it said
his detention since his arrest late last month was "irregular"
for technical reasons.
The judge said that because the detention was ordered
by the prosecutor`s office it was not in line with a ruling
from the European Court of Human Rights, and he said the
French Justice Ministry had "intervened".
Al-Mismari repeated in court that he was innocent of
the crimes that Libya accuses him of and that he had come to
France for treatment for a heart condition.
The court informed Al-Mismari of the international
arrest warrant issued for him on behalf of Libya, which
accuses him of embezzling state funds.
Al-Mismari told the court that he refused to be
extradited. A further extradition hearing has been scheduled
fo December 23.
"I am innocent of everything that Libya accuses me
of," Al-Mismari told the court. "The protocol office does not
manage public funds because the budget of the office comes
under the responsibility of the Finance Ministry."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy