French court says lesbian couple can adopt
Strasbourg (France): A French court on Tuesday allowed a lesbian woman to adopt a child with her partner after 11 years of legal battle, in what gay rights campaigners said was an unprecedented victory.
French law allows single people to adopt but not same-sex couples, a position that has been criticized by the European Court of Human Rights.
Some couples get around the ban by filing an application in the name of only one partner and ticking the "single" box, but 48-year-old teacher Emmanuelle B. was determined to have the right to adopt as a couple recognized by the courts.
She prevailed on Tuesday when an administrative tribunal in the eastern town of Besancon overruled the regional authorities, who had rejected the woman`s application.
"This is a wonderful victory against homophobia, at a time when homophobic comments and attitudes are still common in our society," said Caroline Mecary, the woman`s lawyer.
Government spokesman Luc Chatel said the ruling would provide food for thought for policymakers.
"The government and the president have on several occasions expressed our position which is that we are not in favor of the adoption of children by same-sex couples," he told reporters after the weekly cabinet meeting.
"A legal ruling has been handed down. Well, we have to take note and I think it should contribute to our thinking on the subject," Chatel said.
Emmanuelle B. had been fighting to assert her right to adopt with her partner since 1998, when the authorities rejected her first application. She had taken her case to the European Court of Human Rights, which ruled in her favor in January 2008.
The Court said France was applying double standards because on the one hand it allowed single people to adopt, while on the other hand it was denying that right to Emmanuelle B. on the basis that there was "no father figure" in her home.
Despite that ruling, the authorities rejected a new application from the woman, this time saying that she and her partner had different ideas about the preferred age of an adoptive child.
France`s own consultative anti-discrimination body, the Halde, criticized the stance of the authorities in an October 5 report on the issue.
Green Party legislator Noel Mamere, who in 2004 had tried to challenge the ban on same-sex marriages by celebrating a symbolic gay wedding in the town where he is mayor, said that the Besancon ruling was an important step forward.
"It`s about time that politicians should stop being cowardly and drop their stupid representations of what a family should be," Mamere said in comments posted on the website of television channel Public Senat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!