French court suspends Chirac graft trial
Paris: A French court on Tuesday suspended the
trial of former president Jacques Chirac, charged with
embezzling public funds as mayor of Paris in the 1990s,
following a constitutional challenge.
Presiding judge Dominique Pauth ordered the trial
suspended so that constitutional authorities can examine
whether certain charges in the case are still admissible
despite having taken place nearly two decades ago.
He proposed that the trial be rescheduled for a date
"around June 20."
Pauthe said he was suspending the trial while the
question is examined by an appeals court which may refer it to
the constitutional court -- a process that may take several
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them