French court suspends Chirac graft trial
Paris: A French court on Tuesday suspended the
trial of former president Jacques Chirac, charged with
embezzling public funds as mayor of Paris in the 1990s,
following a constitutional challenge.
Presiding judge Dominique Pauth ordered the trial
suspended so that constitutional authorities can examine
whether certain charges in the case are still admissible
despite having taken place nearly two decades ago.
He proposed that the trial be rescheduled for a date
"around June 20."
Pauthe said he was suspending the trial while the
question is examined by an appeals court which may refer it to
the constitutional court -- a process that may take several
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...