French diplomats meet man linked to China scandal
Beijing: French diplomats have met with a Frenchman who arrived in China to assist in investigations into the country`s biggest political scandal in years after being released from custody in Cambodia, the embassy said on Tuesday.
Staffers from the French embassy in Beijing met with Patrick Devillers over the weekend and are in regular contact with him, said a spokesman who declined to be identified, citing embassy policy.
News reports have said Devillers had close ties to Bo Xilai, who was a former Chinese political high-flier before he was ousted for still unexplained transgressions, a removal that exposed divisions within the leadership. Bo`s wife, Gu Kailai, has been accused of involvement in the murder of a British businessman, Neil Heywood.
Devillers, an architect, reportedly helped Bo rebuild the northeastern Chinese city of Dalian when Bo was the city`s mayor in the 1990s.
Bo fell from power after his former police chief and longtime aide fled to a US consulate and divulged suspicions that Gu was involved in Heywood`s death.
Bo was subsequently removed as Chongqing Communist Party secretary and then suspended as a Politburo member amid speculation he tried to quash an investigation of his wife and a household employee over the Briton`s death.
The embassy spokesman would not comment on Devillers` exact whereabouts. He also declined to say if Devillers was being held in police custody, or whether he was free to move around or leave China.
Devillers told the French embassy in Phnom Penh that he had an agreement with Chinese authorities that he would go to China voluntarily to cooperate in an investigation, the spokesman said.
Cambodian Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak earlier said Beijing had assured the Frenchman he would be allowed to leave China within 60 days.
A trial for Bo`s wife and for Wang Lijun, the former police chief who fled briefly to the US consulate, could begin this month, diplomats in Beijing have said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...