French family abducted by Boko Haram in Cameroon freed
Abuja: A French family of seven, including four children, kidnapped at gunpoint in northern Cameroon by Nigerian Islamic extremist group Boko Haram has been freed after two months in captivity.
Officials of Nigeria and Cameroon said the released persons were in good condition and would soon be handed over to their home country.
The French gas group GDF Suez has identified the captives as an employee who worked in Yaounde and his family.
According to Cameroon`s communications minister, Tchiroma Bakary, the freed family include four children. The vacationing group comprised three adults and four children, whom French media reported were between 5 and 12 years old.
Gerard Mastrallet, the head of GDF, said the hostages were freed in a military operation, but did not offer details. "We were not involved in any negotiations but we knew that French authorities were very active," Mastrallet said in an interview with RTL radio.
The Feb 19 kidnapping came as thousands of French troops were deeply involved in a military intervention against Islamic extremists in the West African country of Mali, and the French statement recalled that eight other French citizens are still being held hostage in the Sahel region of Africa.
The sect took them hostage from Waza National Park in the northern Cameroon, from where it was believed, they were taken to Nigeria.
Last month, a video surfaced showing a man who appeared to be Tanguy Moulin-Fournier. The man said his family was in the custody of the Islamic radical sect known as Boko Haram which wants all its members freed, especially women and children held in Nigerian and Cameroonian custody.
Boko Haram has been waging a campaign of bombings and shootings across Nigeria`s north. They are held responsible for more than 790 deaths last year alone, and dozens more since the beginning of this year.
Moulin-Fournier said his family was not doing well in captivity. "We lose force (strength) every day and start to be sick; we will not stay very long like this," he said in the recording.
Boko Haram later appeared on a YouTube video claiming to have captured them in retaliation to France`s intervention in Mali where extremists are threatening the government.
Sources said Nigerian officials handed over the former hostages to Cameroon late yesterday. It was not clear if any ransom was paid to secure their release.
Neither Nigeria nor Cameroon reported any Boko Haram members were freed.
Boko Haram says it has an agenda of turning some parts or the whole of Nigeria into a Muslim state and has been waging a campaign of bombings and shootings across Nigeria`s north. It has killed thousands of people since 2009 but rarely embark on kidnappings. But a splinter group called Ansaru engages in abduction of foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India