French FM accosted in Gaza Strip
Erez Crossing: A crowd of furious Palestinian protesters tried to block the French foreign minister on her way into the Gaza Strip on Friday, jumping on her vehicle and lying on the road.
Dozens of protesters, relatives of Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli prisons, surrounded Foreign Minister Michele Alliot-Marie`s convoy and tried to block her passage through the Erez Crossing from Israel.
They were angry about comments made by Alliot-Marie on Thursday in support of Gilad Schalit, an Israeli soldier captured in a cross-border raid by Hamas militants and held in Gaza since 2006. Schalit is an Israeli-French dual national.
In Israel, Alliot-Marie met with Schalit`s parents and called on Hamas to allow the Red Cross to visit the soldier, according to Israeli media.
Hamas police eventually dispersed the protesters and allowed her through. But more protesters gathered outside a United Nations office in Gaza City that was her first stop in the Palestinian territory, and later followed her to a nearby hospital, pelting her motorcade with eggs.
Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said her comments reflected a "total bias toward Israel" and ignored the thousands of Palestinians held by Israel. "They are the true prisoners of war," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India