French FM slams `mass rape` of Nigerian schoolgirls
Washington: French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius Tuesday denounced what he called the "mass rape" of Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by the Islamic militant Boko Haram group.
"Sometimes in France we talk about `forced marriage,`" the French diplomat told a press conference during a visit to Washington.
"But that term is totally inadequate. It`s really a mass rape of young girls," he said, when asked about more than 200 schoolgirls snatched from their boarding school in mid-April.
These girls "have been the kidnapped and then enslaved, and it`s a mass rape that must be prosecuted and punished as such."
France is hosting a summit on Saturday focusing on the threat posed by Boko Haram and has invited leaders from at least five African countries, including Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, Niger and Benin.
British and American delegations have also been asked to take part, but Washington has not yet decided who will lead the US team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok