French FM slams `mass rape` of Nigerian schoolgirls
Washington: French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius Tuesday denounced what he called the "mass rape" of Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by the Islamic militant Boko Haram group.
"Sometimes in France we talk about `forced marriage,`" the French diplomat told a press conference during a visit to Washington.
"But that term is totally inadequate. It`s really a mass rape of young girls," he said, when asked about more than 200 schoolgirls snatched from their boarding school in mid-April.
These girls "have been the kidnapped and then enslaved, and it`s a mass rape that must be prosecuted and punished as such."
France is hosting a summit on Saturday focusing on the threat posed by Boko Haram and has invited leaders from at least five African countries, including Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, Niger and Benin.
British and American delegations have also been asked to take part, but Washington has not yet decided who will lead the US team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda