French gunman’s body may be sent to Algeria
Paris: The body of an al Qaeda-inspired gunman who killed seven people in a shooting rampage in southwest France will be flown to Algeria on Thursday if the country agrees to receive it, an official at one of the biggest mosques in Paris said on Wednesday.
Abdallah Zekri said the body of Mohamed Merah was currently at a hospital in the city of Toulouse while Algerian authorities decided whether they were willing to receive it. French media had reported that Merah`s father had requested burial in Algeria.
"Algiers hasn`t yet given its consent," said Zekri.
The 23-year-old self-styled Islamist radical, who admitted to the killings, was shot last Thursday during a gun battle with police who laid siege to his apartment for more than 30 hours.
On Tuesday, Merah`s father, Mohamed Benalen Merah, lashed out at French authorities for killing his son. The elder Merah, who lives in Algeria, had earlier said he wanted to sue France.
"France is a powerful country with huge resources," Merah told France 24 television. "They could have taken him while he slept. They could have used a sleep-inducing gas and taken him like a baby. Why were they so hasty? Why did they kill him?"
"They could have arrested him and had him face justice," he added.
French authorities are checking to see whether Mohamed Merah planned the attacks alone or with others. His victims included three soldiers, three Jewish school children and a rabbi. His older brother, Abdelkader, is in police custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack