French island of Corsica hit by attacks
Paris: Officials say one man has been killed and several vacation homes attacked on Corsica ahead of the restive French island`s celebration of national identity.
The local government says explosives went off in nine second homes yesterday night in the southern part of the island. None were occupied. French media have reported that another 15 were hit elsewhere on the island. A man was also shot during the night.
A recent spate of killings has drawn national attention to the rugged island.
Much of the violence is linked to criminal gangs, but a homegrown nationalist movement mounted a bombing campaign two decades ago.
Today is celebrated by some as Corsica`s "national day," marking the 18th-century adoption of a constitution on the island, before it was taken over by the French.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport