French island of Corsica hit by attacks
Paris: Officials say one man has been killed and several vacation homes attacked on Corsica ahead of the restive French island`s celebration of national identity.
The local government says explosives went off in nine second homes yesterday night in the southern part of the island. None were occupied. French media have reported that another 15 were hit elsewhere on the island. A man was also shot during the night.
A recent spate of killings has drawn national attention to the rugged island.
Much of the violence is linked to criminal gangs, but a homegrown nationalist movement mounted a bombing campaign two decades ago.
Today is celebrated by some as Corsica`s "national day," marking the 18th-century adoption of a constitution on the island, before it was taken over by the French.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!