French island of Corsica hit by attacks
Paris: Officials say one man has been killed and several vacation homes attacked on Corsica ahead of the restive French island`s celebration of national identity.
The local government says explosives went off in nine second homes yesterday night in the southern part of the island. None were occupied. French media have reported that another 15 were hit elsewhere on the island. A man was also shot during the night.
A recent spate of killings has drawn national attention to the rugged island.
Much of the violence is linked to criminal gangs, but a homegrown nationalist movement mounted a bombing campaign two decades ago.
Today is celebrated by some as Corsica`s "national day," marking the 18th-century adoption of a constitution on the island, before it was taken over by the French.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'