French island of Corsica hit by attacks
Paris: Officials say one man has been killed and several vacation homes attacked on Corsica ahead of the restive French island`s celebration of national identity.
The local government says explosives went off in nine second homes yesterday night in the southern part of the island. None were occupied. French media have reported that another 15 were hit elsewhere on the island. A man was also shot during the night.
A recent spate of killings has drawn national attention to the rugged island.
Much of the violence is linked to criminal gangs, but a homegrown nationalist movement mounted a bombing campaign two decades ago.
Today is celebrated by some as Corsica`s "national day," marking the 18th-century adoption of a constitution on the island, before it was taken over by the French.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?