French island of Corsica hit by attacks
Paris: Officials say one man has been killed and several vacation homes attacked on Corsica ahead of the restive French island`s celebration of national identity.
The local government says explosives went off in nine second homes yesterday night in the southern part of the island. None were occupied. French media have reported that another 15 were hit elsewhere on the island. A man was also shot during the night.
A recent spate of killings has drawn national attention to the rugged island.
Much of the violence is linked to criminal gangs, but a homegrown nationalist movement mounted a bombing campaign two decades ago.
Today is celebrated by some as Corsica`s "national day," marking the 18th-century adoption of a constitution on the island, before it was taken over by the French.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you