French jets pound Islamists training camp in Mali’s Kidal
Paris: Continuing the effort to drive away the rebels from northern Mali, French jets on Sunday carried aerial assaults on Islamist militants’ training centres and arms and ammunitions depot around the mountainous regions of Kidal and Tessalit.
It’s been three weeks since French-led troops intervened in Mali to thwart the advance of rebel extremists who had started to push southwards after occupying the northern Mali.
French intervention in Mali has so far gained much ground with three key rebel strongholds of Gao, Timbuktu and Kidal been recaptured from the Islamists.
French troops landed in Kidal, the last rebel stronghold on Wednesday and took the control of the airport but it is being feared that the town is still under control of “rebels from a Tuareg group who want their own homeland in northern Mali - the MNLA”, a BBC report said.
A French army Colonel also said that “various Islamist groups like the MUJAO (Movement for Unity and Oneness of the Jihad), and Ansar Dine are still present there”.
The French aerial strikes on key hideouts and training camps of militants comes on the heels of a visit by French President Francois Hollande who pledged to help rebuild Mali after the rebels are chased away.
"It was an important aerial operation to the north of the town Kidal and in the Tessalit region where we targeted logistical depots and Islamist training camps ... some 20 sites," said Burkhard.
France has said that it eventually wants to hand over responsibility for the mission to the Malian army and other African counterparts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues