French jets pound Islamists training camp in Mali’s Kidal
Paris: Continuing the effort to drive away the rebels from northern Mali, French jets on Sunday carried aerial assaults on Islamist militants’ training centres and arms and ammunitions depot around the mountainous regions of Kidal and Tessalit.
It’s been three weeks since French-led troops intervened in Mali to thwart the advance of rebel extremists who had started to push southwards after occupying the northern Mali.
French intervention in Mali has so far gained much ground with three key rebel strongholds of Gao, Timbuktu and Kidal been recaptured from the Islamists.
French troops landed in Kidal, the last rebel stronghold on Wednesday and took the control of the airport but it is being feared that the town is still under control of “rebels from a Tuareg group who want their own homeland in northern Mali - the MNLA”, a BBC report said.
A French army Colonel also said that “various Islamist groups like the MUJAO (Movement for Unity and Oneness of the Jihad), and Ansar Dine are still present there”.
The French aerial strikes on key hideouts and training camps of militants comes on the heels of a visit by French President Francois Hollande who pledged to help rebuild Mali after the rebels are chased away.
"It was an important aerial operation to the north of the town Kidal and in the Tessalit region where we targeted logistical depots and Islamist training camps ... some 20 sites," said Burkhard.
France has said that it eventually wants to hand over responsibility for the mission to the Malian army and other African counterparts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers