French, Mali troops recover explosives in Gao
Gao (Mali): French soldiers today recovered an enormous stash of explosives that authorities believe radical Islamic fighters were using to make bombs for attacks on northern Mali`s largest city, a Malian military spokesman said.
Daouda Diarra said that the French military removed some 800 kgs of explosive materials from a house in Gao`s Chateau neighborhood. The explosives had been discovered several days earlier, and the team had returned to the site today, Diarra said.
French military officials could not be immediately reached for comment.
Radical Islamic fighters withdrew from Gao on January 26 after imposing their harsh interpretation of Shariah law in the most populous city in northern Mali for nearly 10 months.
Since their retreat, the Islamic extremists have launched two suicide bombings in the last week and invaded the city for a five-hour-long gun battle Sunday in the center of the city.
Sunday`s brazen assault marked the first time the jihadists had penetrated the city of mud-walled buildings since they fled.
Last week soldiers combing abandoned jihadist hideouts also found a stash of NITRAM 5 explosives hidden inside rice bags that were left in a communal trash area. The explosives are manufactured for use in mining, but can cause considerable damage when used as bombs.
Two suicide bombers have detonated their explosives in attacks on military checkpoints since Friday. Neither of the attacks killed other people, but the pattern of attempts has raised alarm that the jihadists could be preparing to stage more devastating assaults on civilian centers.
One of the suicide bombers had stayed in a Gao house where Islamic extremists lived when they controlled the city. The guard there said it had been visited by the one-eyed Algerian terror leader Moktar Belmoktar, who was the architect of last month`s attack on a BP plant in Algeria in which at least 37 people were killed.
Soldiers from Niger and Mali have been patrolling downtown Gao on foot in an effort to secure the city. A new checkpoint with about two dozen Malian soldiers standing guard was also set up today near the waterfront.
Mali was plunged into turmoil after a coup in March 2012 created a security vacuum that allowed secular rebel Tuaregs, who have long felt marginalized by Mali`s government, to take half the north as a new homeland. In the following months, the rebels were kicked out by the Islamists who imposed strict Shariah law in the north, including amputations for theft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow