French military considering purchase of US drones: Source
Paris: France is considering buying US-made unarmed Reaper surveillance drones to boost its military capabilities, a source in the defence ministry said on Friday.
France`s deficit of surveillance drones was highlighted during its recent intervention against Islamist rebels in Mali, where the United States deployed several Predator drones in support of French forces.
"A letter has been sent to Washington to evaluate the feasibility" of France purchasing drones, the source said. "It does not commit France, it is part of a reflection on the possibility."
French newspaper La Tribune reported Friday that Paris had made an official request to Washington to acquire Reaper drones and customise them for use by French forces. The drones could later be adapted to include weapons systems, it wrote.
Predator and Reaper drones are widely used by the US military and known as the weapon of choice in a covert CIA air war against al Qaeda militants mostly in Pakistan and Yemen.
European nations including France are developing their own unmanned combat drone, known as the Neuron, which flew its maiden test flight in December but is not expected to be operational for several years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India