French minister dresses down US at July 4 fete
Paris: France`s top security official publicly dressed down the United States at the American ambassador`s July 4 garden party, denouncing alleged US "espionage" of France and other countries, while the European Parliament voted to open an investigation.
Interior Minister Manuel Valls was guest of honor at the fete hosted by Ambassador Charles Rivkin on Thursday. In a speech before hundreds of guests, he said that "in the name of our friendship, we owe each other honesty. We must say things clearly, directly, frankly."
He said that President Francois Hollande`s demand for clear and precise explanations about reports of U.S. Spying are justified because "such practices, if proven, do not have their place between allies and partners."
In Strasbourg, the European Parliament agreed to start an investigation into the allegations that European Union offices were among those bugged and called for more protection for whistleblowers.
European countries agreed Wednesday that planned talks on free trade with the US must start in parallel with discussions on National Security Agency surveillance. Those talks are still on track to begin next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it
- Two Mexican kidnappers sentenced to 520 years in prison
- California wildfire spreads to over 11,000 acres
- After Gujarat, Dalits attacked in Karnataka's Chikkamagaluru for storing beef; seven Bajrang Dal activists booked
- Nora Fatehi not happy with Salman Yusuf Khan's entry in 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 9'?