French minister dresses down US at July 4 fete
Paris: France`s top security official publicly dressed down the United States at the American ambassador`s July 4 garden party, denouncing alleged US "espionage" of France and other countries, while the European Parliament voted to open an investigation.
Interior Minister Manuel Valls was guest of honor at the fete hosted by Ambassador Charles Rivkin on Thursday. In a speech before hundreds of guests, he said that "in the name of our friendship, we owe each other honesty. We must say things clearly, directly, frankly."
He said that President Francois Hollande`s demand for clear and precise explanations about reports of U.S. Spying are justified because "such practices, if proven, do not have their place between allies and partners."
In Strasbourg, the European Parliament agreed to start an investigation into the allegations that European Union offices were among those bugged and called for more protection for whistleblowers.
European countries agreed Wednesday that planned talks on free trade with the US must start in parallel with discussions on National Security Agency surveillance. Those talks are still on track to begin next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorists gun down policeman in Kashmir's Pulwama district
- BJP to hold meet with CMs' of party-ruled states, PM Modi to address concluding session
- JD(U) backs Mamata Banerjee, says resistance against Centre is growing
- Three low-intensity earthquakes hit Himachal Pradesh, no casualties
- SL vs AUS: How Graeme Smith and Dale Steyn ridiculed Steve Smith for heading home