French MPs in sexism row after wolf-whistling at woman minister
London: MPs in France were plunged into a sexism row after newly appointed Minister of Territory Equality and Housing Cecile Duflot was leered at in the Parliament.
Duflot had been barraged with wolf-whistles and yells of “Phwoarr” when she stood up in a summery dress and high heels.
The 37-year-old minister was subjected to the abuse as she tried to make a speech to the National Assembly in Paris.
She began, “Ladies and gentlemen,” then added, “Obviously, more gentlemen than ladies...” but her words were drowned out by the whistles.
“I have worked in the building trade and I have never seen anything like that. This tells you something about our MPs. I just think of their wives,” the Sun quoted the minister, a former town planner who once wore jeans to a Cabinet meeting, as saying.
Members of the Union for a Popular Movement the party of ex-President Nicolas Sarkozy were widely blamed for this incident.
A video of the incident caused outrage, with many saying that it highlighted the shortcomings of the political class.
Anger increased when MP Patrick Balkany, a close pal of Sarkozy, said that Duflot had put on the knee-length floral dress “so we wouldn’t listen to what she was saying.”
Women’s Rights Minister Najat Vallaud-Belkacem said that sexism had no frontiers and that they should set a better example.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'