French Naval destroyer FNS Montcalm to undertake joint training
New Delhi: French Naval destroyer FNS Montcalm will make a five-day port call in Goa from and undertake joint training activities with the Indian Navy.
Third among seven F-70 type Destroyers, FNS Montcalm was commissioned into the French Navy in 1982 and is designed for anti-submarine warfare.
"Among the highlights of her mission are training activities planned with the Indian Navy after the port visit," the French Embassy said here today.
It will contribute to strengthening the "ever higher degree of cooperation" between French and Indian navies since the two countries signed their strategic partnership in 1998, the statement said, adding French Ambassador Francois Richier will also be present on the occasion.
"FNS Montcalm is capable of performing all tasks dedicated to escort ships, from crisis prevention to aircraft carrier or amphibious battle group protection. Her detection and action capabilities are enhanced by her shipborne Lynx helicopter, fitted with its redoubtable Anti-Submarine Warfare sonar," it said.
Based in Toulon, FNS Montcalm is part of the French Naval Action Force. Capable of being deployed anywhere in the world, the warship operates mainly in the Mediterranean Sea and in the Indian Ocean.
"Since 2001, she has notably taken part in operation Herakles, the French contribution to coalition operations in Afghanistan. In later years, the Destroyer Montcalm has ensured protection and surveillance of sea traffic in the Indian Ocean," the release said.
In 2011 the destroyer participated in civilian protection operations in Libya codenamed as Operation Harmattan.
Considering the permanent presence of French Navy in Indian Ocean, FNS Montcalm has been deployed there since March 2013 under Task Force 150.
"Calling at Goa after visits at Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, the French Destroyer Montcalm will contribute to strengthening the ever higher degree of cooperation between French and Indian navies since the two countries signed their strategic partnership in 1998," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Brave jawans gun down six militants in encounters in Kashmir's Kupwara - Know gunbattle details
- Brexit poll results: Britain, EU relation on knife-edge as historic referendum closes
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus