French Naval destroyer FNS Montcalm to undertake joint training
New Delhi: French Naval destroyer FNS Montcalm will make a five-day port call in Goa from and undertake joint training activities with the Indian Navy.
Third among seven F-70 type Destroyers, FNS Montcalm was commissioned into the French Navy in 1982 and is designed for anti-submarine warfare.
"Among the highlights of her mission are training activities planned with the Indian Navy after the port visit," the French Embassy said here today.
It will contribute to strengthening the "ever higher degree of cooperation" between French and Indian navies since the two countries signed their strategic partnership in 1998, the statement said, adding French Ambassador Francois Richier will also be present on the occasion.
"FNS Montcalm is capable of performing all tasks dedicated to escort ships, from crisis prevention to aircraft carrier or amphibious battle group protection. Her detection and action capabilities are enhanced by her shipborne Lynx helicopter, fitted with its redoubtable Anti-Submarine Warfare sonar," it said.
Based in Toulon, FNS Montcalm is part of the French Naval Action Force. Capable of being deployed anywhere in the world, the warship operates mainly in the Mediterranean Sea and in the Indian Ocean.
"Since 2001, she has notably taken part in operation Herakles, the French contribution to coalition operations in Afghanistan. In later years, the Destroyer Montcalm has ensured protection and surveillance of sea traffic in the Indian Ocean," the release said.
In 2011 the destroyer participated in civilian protection operations in Libya codenamed as Operation Harmattan.
Considering the permanent presence of French Navy in Indian Ocean, FNS Montcalm has been deployed there since March 2013 under Task Force 150.
"Calling at Goa after visits at Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, the French Destroyer Montcalm will contribute to strengthening the ever higher degree of cooperation between French and Indian navies since the two countries signed their strategic partnership in 1998," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings