French Parl votes in sexual harassment law
Paris: France`s parliament has approved legislation that makes sexual harassment a crime, addressing problems many say have existed for decades in the country.
The new law sets three levels of harassment, with the most serious in cases where the harasser has authority over the victim, the victim is younger than 15 years old, or multiple people carry out the harassment punishable by up to three years in prison.
The National Assembly passed the law after the Senate voted earlier in the day. Its passage comes more than two months after a court struck down the previous statute, saying it was too vague and failed to protect women.
The legislation covers offenses in universities, the housing market and job interviews. Single acts of sexual blackmail will be considered sexual harassment, whereas previously only repeated acts were.
In the United States, sexual harassment is a civil offense usually punishable by fines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery