French Parl votes in sexual harassment law
Paris: France`s parliament has approved legislation that makes sexual harassment a crime, addressing problems many say have existed for decades in the country.
The new law sets three levels of harassment, with the most serious in cases where the harasser has authority over the victim, the victim is younger than 15 years old, or multiple people carry out the harassment punishable by up to three years in prison.
The National Assembly passed the law after the Senate voted earlier in the day. Its passage comes more than two months after a court struck down the previous statute, saying it was too vague and failed to protect women.
The legislation covers offenses in universities, the housing market and job interviews. Single acts of sexual blackmail will be considered sexual harassment, whereas previously only repeated acts were.
In the United States, sexual harassment is a civil offense usually punishable by fines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi