French Parl votes in sexual harassment law
Paris: France`s parliament has approved legislation that makes sexual harassment a crime, addressing problems many say have existed for decades in the country.
The new law sets three levels of harassment, with the most serious in cases where the harasser has authority over the victim, the victim is younger than 15 years old, or multiple people carry out the harassment punishable by up to three years in prison.
The National Assembly passed the law after the Senate voted earlier in the day. Its passage comes more than two months after a court struck down the previous statute, saying it was too vague and failed to protect women.
The legislation covers offenses in universities, the housing market and job interviews. Single acts of sexual blackmail will be considered sexual harassment, whereas previously only repeated acts were.
In the United States, sexual harassment is a civil offense usually punishable by fines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers
- Burhan Wani's father meets Sri Sri Ravi Shankar