French parliament rejects gay marriage bill
Paris: French lawmakers have rejected a bill presented by the opposition Socialist Party seeking to legalize same-sex marriage.
The members of the National Assembly, the lower house of parliament, turned down the measure by 293 votes to 222.
Opposition was led by President Nicolas Sarkozy`s governing conservative party UMP, while Socialists and other leftists supported the bill.
Supporters say it is needed to bring France into line with nearby countries like Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands, which have already legalized gay marriage.
Earlier this year, France`s highest court ruled that laws banning gay marriage don`t violate the constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune