French parliament rejects gay marriage bill
Paris: French lawmakers have rejected a bill presented by the opposition Socialist Party seeking to legalize same-sex marriage.
The members of the National Assembly, the lower house of parliament, turned down the measure by 293 votes to 222.
Opposition was led by President Nicolas Sarkozy`s governing conservative party UMP, while Socialists and other leftists supported the bill.
Supporters say it is needed to bring France into line with nearby countries like Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands, which have already legalized gay marriage.
Earlier this year, France`s highest court ruled that laws banning gay marriage don`t violate the constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know