French police arrest PIP breast implant boss
Marseille: Jean-Claude Mas, whose breast implant firm Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) has sparked an international health scandal by using substandard silicon, was arrested on Thursday and could be charged with manslaughter, a French police source said.
Mas was arrested at around 7 am (1 am ET) at his home in southern France and police searched the premises. He will be held for 48 hours while investigators decide whether to charge him with involuntary manslaughter and causing injury.
A second PIP executive, Claude Couty, was also arrested under an investigation opened in the southern port city of Marseille, close to PIP`s former premises, on December 08.
Mas, who sold some 300,000 implants around the world, recently spoke out for the first time since the scandal erupted in December, acknowledging that he had used unapproved silicon and scoffing at the idea that it constituted a health risk.
PIP closed down in March 2010 after regulators discovered it was using a non-medical grade silicon, and in December 2011 the French government advised women with PIP implants to have them removed, sparking alarm around the world.
Several PIP managers were already expected to appear in court in Marseille in October this year following a prior investigation into fraud and deceptive business practices by the company, once the world`s third-largest global seller of breast implants.
Around 2,700 women in France have filed complaints against Mas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you