French police fired first in clash that killed officer: ETA
Madrid: French police fired the first shot in a shootout in a Paris suburb last month in which one of their officers died, said a statement issued today by the Basque separatist group ETA.
The statement, written in Basque and published in the Basque daily Gara, said a police officer had fired two shots towards one of four activists they had already captured before other ETA militants intervened.
President Nicolas Sarkozy vowed to wipe out ETA bases in France after 52-year-old Jean-Serge Nerin became the first French police officer to be killed by the separatists following the March 16 gun battle.
The ETA statement said French officers had captured the four ETA activists in a forest near the town of Dammarie-les-Lys, 50 kilometres southeast of Paris after they had stolen several cars from a local dealership.
After a French officer had fired towards one of the captured activists, though without intending to hit him, three other ETA members arrived at the scene, the statement continued.
They had given a clear warning to the French police officers, telling them throw down their weapons and leave: in the subsequent gun battle, ETA militants had fired nine shots, the French police many more, the statement said.
Gara, the newspaper that carried the statement, is recognised as one of ETA`s channels of communication. From the outset, French investigators had attributed his killing to the Basque militant group, which has waged a long-running armed campaign for an independent homeland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31