French police hunt for man who stabbed soldier
Paris: French anti-terrorism investigators were combing video surveillance tapes today as they continued their manhunt for a suspect who stabbed a soldier in the throat in the commercial district of La Defense outside Paris.
The 23-year-old soldier, Cedric Cordier, was in uniform patrolling the busy underground corridors where shops and crowded public transport lines converge beneath the famous Arch of La Defense.
Yesterday`s stabbing came days after a British soldier was hacked to death on a London street in broad daylight in a suspected terrorist attack that has raised fears of potential copycat strikes. However, there was no immediate confirmation of any link between the two attacks.
French police have surveillance video of a suspect taken before and after the attack. There are several security cameras operated by public transport agency RATP and others placed throughout the underground shopping centre, according to one police official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn`t authorised to discuss terrorism probes.
The official, who has not seen the videos himself, said investigators describe the suspect as tall. He couldn`t provide any other description of the suspect. Police are going over videos to try to identify the suspect, trace his escape route and determine whether he was acting alone, the official said.
Cordier remained hospitalised Sunday, but officials said his throat wound wasn`t life-threatening.
The French soldier was on a group patrol as part of a national protection programme when he was attacked from behind.
Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, who visited Cordier at the hospital yesterday evening, said he had been targeted because he was a soldier.
Anti-terrorism investigators are leading the hunt for the attacker, but officials have yet to determine whether terrorism is involved, the police official said. Police also questioned witnesses to the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor