French police presence boosted on serial killer fears
Evry: Hundreds of extra police were
drafted into the Paris suburbs on Saturday where four murders have
been carried out with the same weapon since November, raising
fears a serial killer is on the loose.
"The main aim is to check suspicious behaviour," top
local official Michel Fuzeau said, saying police would
carry out "vehicle checks and identity checks" and respond to
any alarms raised by the local population.
He said "several hundred" officers had been mobilised.
The massive boost to the police presence in Essonne came
after the latest killing on Thursday of a 47-year-old woman on
a working-class housing estate in Grigny, south of the
Around 100 investigators are probing the murders, carried
out between November 27 and April 5, within a 10-kilometre
radius, of apparently innocent victims, two men and two women,
with no known links between them.
All the victims were shot with the same small-calibre
semi-automatic 7.65 weapon.
While nothing suggested any political or religious motive
for the killings, investigators have not ruled out any
hypothesis. They believe it could be the work of a serial
killer or a hired hitman, working for one or several persons.
The gunman or gunmen could be acting alone, or have
Local prosecutor Marie-Suzanne Le Queau told journalists
yesterday: "The way of killing is not identical in all four
"In the first case, the victim was shot in the body
several times while in the other three cases we have deaths
caused by a single shot to the head," she said.
The first victim was a 35-year-old laboratory assistant
also shot dead in her building in Grigny, on November 27.
A disabled, unemployed man who said he was her
ex-boyfriend turned himself in, was arrested and charged, but
has since retracted his confession.
On February 22, one of the first victim`s neighbours, a
52-year-old man, was shot dead in their building`s car park.
Then, on March 19, an 81-year-old man was killed by a
shot to the head in the entrance to a similar block of flats
in Grigny`s neighbouring suburb of Ris-Orangis.
"No link has been made between the four victims except
for the fact that the second lived in the same building as the
first," Le Queau said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla