French police sweep alleged ‘jihadist network’
Paris: The French police has killed one man and taken at least seven others into custody in what government officials described as a ‘jihadist network’ that allegedly wanted to attack a Jewish grocery store last month.
Police swept across France, from the northeastern city of Strasbourg to the Mediterranean city of Cannes, as part of the raids, in which a number of weapons, more than €27,000 in cash and a list of Israeli groups in the Paris area, Paris prosecutor François Molins said at a news conference.
According to the Wall Street Journal, officials did not name those in custody, but identified the man who was killed, in Strasbourg, as 33-year-old Jérémie Sidney.
The raids stemmed from a grenade attack on September 19 against a Jewish grocery story outside Paris in which one person was mildly injured, officials said. Following that attack, police found DNA matching Sidney`s on remains of the grenade. Further investigation turned up the network that was in close contact with Sidney, officials added.
"All of these people, born in France and with French nationality, are linked with the radical Islamist movement," Molins said, describing them as ‘a network’.
Evidence found in the raids included a printed al Qaeda publication, computer equipment, and multiple testaments specifying their final wishes, Molins said. He declined to provide further details about the links or what information led authorities to believe the individuals have ties to the jihadist movement.
The roundup marks the first major coordinated raids against suspected Islamic radicals since March and April, when police arrested a slew of alleged members of Islamist community groups in a nationwide sweep.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22