French political class divided on Strauss-Kahn
Paris: Was Dominique Strauss-Kahn sincere and
humble, or unconvincing and laughable?
French reaction was divided on Tuesday after the first public
appearance in France by Strauss-Kahn, a French presidential
hopeful until his May 14 arrest on accusations of sexual
assault by a New York hotel maid.
The only agreement within the political class was that
there would be no quick return to politics for the man known
here as DSK, and even some fellow Socialists said it was time
for France to move on without him.
Strauss-Kahn told TF1 yesterday night that his encounter
with Sofitel housekeeper Nafissatou Diallo was a "moral
failing" that he deeply regrets but insisted there was no
The charges against him in New York were dropped but
Strauss-Kahn confirmed that fallout from his arrest put him
out of the running for the 2012 race.
He also was forced to leave his post as chief of the
International Monetary Fund.
Strauss-Kahn`s TV appearance drew 13.4 million viewers to
their TV screens more than a fifth of the French population
and 47 per cent of the audience share, according to
Mediametrie, which measures media markets.
The last time such a high score was reached was in
November 2005, during the fiery unrest that gripped France`s
troubled housing projects.
Political rivals and lawyers for Diallo criticised
Strauss-Kahn for failing to give his version of what happened
in the hotel room where the maid who is bringing a civil suit
against him claims she was attacked as she entered to clean.
"Mr Strauss-Kahn distorted by transforming (the
interview) into a magic sponge that cleanses him of everything
that happened in New York ... ," Thibault de Montbrial, Diallo`s lawyer in Paris said.
"We look forward to greeting him in our offices and
asking him the questions the reporter failed to do," Diallo
lawyers Kenneth Thompson and Douglas Wigdor who are bringing
the civil suit in New York said in a
reaction to Strauss-Kahn`s TV appearance.
They dismissed his TV time as a "desperate ploy" for
Ploy or not, it worked for Socialist Party stalwart, Jack
Lang, a former culture minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark