French Polynesia leader questioned in graft probe
Papeete: Veteran French Polynesia leader Gaston Flosse, an ally of former president Jacques Chirac, was questioned in a graft probe in Tahiti as police searched his home and party headquarters.
The 78-year-old French Senator, who served four terms as head of the French Pacific territory between 1984 and 2008, was questioned in July by financial investigators in Paris over the alleged embezzlement of some EUR 1.5 million (USD 2.2 million) from the Polynesian post and telecoms office.
A member of President Nicolas Sarkozy`s right-wing majority, Flosse could be held for questioning for up to 36 hours.
Police also searched his home and the headquarters of his Tahoera`a Huiraatira party.
The French Senate has partially lifted Flosse`s immunity, allowing him to be questioned, but refused a request by an investigating magistrate earlier this week for Flosse to be taken into custody, noting he had yet to be formally placed under investigation.
Prosecutors subsequently said they would begin an official inquiry
The probe was launched after a damning report by Polynesia`s public finance watchdog, the CTC, on the use of state funds and award of contracts during Flosse`s rule.
Four people are being held in custody while investigators probe the alleged embezzlement of funds for the production of a phonebook for the French overseas territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?