French President Hollande outraged at execution of Foley
Paris: French President Francois Hollande said Thursday he was outraged at the execution of US journalist James Foley by Islamic State jihadists, accusing them of barbarism.
"I share the emotion, I share the compassions, I share also the outrage," the French leader said upon arrival at the French Indian Ocean island of Reunion.
"To kill, to assassinate a journalist in these conditions, a journalist who had already been held for two years, to put on the internet the video of his murder, that is a sign of barbarism."
Hollande added: "there is a rule which applies in all civilised society that the press must be protected."
The Islamic State group who killed Foley and who have declared the creation of a caliphate straddling Syria and Iraq are not like other terrorist groups, the French leader warned.
"Dispersed, scattered, with several heads, it is a terrorist organization that has decided to enslave, to annihilate, to destroy," he said.
"And if the world doesn`t organise regarding this group there will be other equally appalling images, which won`t only concern journalists, they`ve crucified people," he added.
Hollande repeated a call for an international conference on tackling the Islamic State and on protecting Iraq`s security.
Condolences and shocked messages poured in worldwide after the Islamist group released a video of Foley`s beheading late Tuesday.
Foley, 40, had been missing since he was seized in Syria in November 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!