French President proposes G20 secretariat
Paris: French President Nicolas Sarkozy on Wednesday proposed the formation of a Group of 20 secretariat to oversee the implementation of important decisions by the bloc of major world economies.
In a speech to French ambassadors, Sarkozy also proposed the body take on more issues related to development and climate change. The G20, which includes leading industrial and developing countries, currently focuses only on economic issues.
Ahead of France`s assumption of the G20 presidency in November, he said top themes will include the reform of the international monetary system, a solution to disputes over China`s currency and extreme fluctuations in food prices.
The next G20 meeting is scheduled for November 11-12 in Seoul. At the end of the meeting, France will assume the bloc`s leadership for a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth