French President proposes G20 secretariat
Paris: French President Nicolas Sarkozy on Wednesday proposed the formation of a Group of 20 secretariat to oversee the implementation of important decisions by the bloc of major world economies.
In a speech to French ambassadors, Sarkozy also proposed the body take on more issues related to development and climate change. The G20, which includes leading industrial and developing countries, currently focuses only on economic issues.
Ahead of France`s assumption of the G20 presidency in November, he said top themes will include the reform of the international monetary system, a solution to disputes over China`s currency and extreme fluctuations in food prices.
The next G20 meeting is scheduled for November 11-12 in Seoul. At the end of the meeting, France will assume the bloc`s leadership for a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family