French prosecutors review Strauss-Kahn complaint
Paris: Paris prosecutors received a legal complaint on Wednesday filed by French writer Tristane Banon alleging that former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn attempted to rape her in 2003, a judicial source said.
The source said prosecutors were examining the complaint, which has thrown up a new hurdle to any political comeback by Strauss-Kahn, pegged as a frontrunner for the 2012 presidential election before his arrest in May in a New York assault case.
French prosecutors will either decide there are no grounds to pursue the case or will open a preliminary investigation. Depending on their conclusions, they could then push the case up a level to an investigating magistrate.
The complaint comes just as charges in New York that Strauss-Kahn allegedly tried to rape a hotel chambermaid seem to be unravelling.
New York prosecutors, whose case has been weakened by doubts over the maid`s credibility, were to meet Strauss-Kahn`s lawyers on Wednesday to discuss whether the case could be resolved through a dismissal or a plea agreement, the New York Times reported. The next scheduled court appearance is July 18.
Banon, 32, alleges that Strauss-Kahn tried to force himself on her during an interview in an otherwise empty Paris apartment when she was in her early twenties.
A journalist and author of three books, she gave a graphic description of the alleged assault during a television talk show in 2007, with Strauss-Kahn`s name bleeped out, but has not taken legal action before this week.
Strauss-Kahn plans to counter claim against Banon, one of his lawyers has said, a routine procedure in France.
Attempted rape carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in France. It was unclear, however, whether there would be enough evidence so long after the facts to support a court case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter