French rally to show support for Iran stoning mother
Paris: Around 1,000 people rallied in Paris
today to show support for Iranian mother-of-two Sakineh
Mohammadi-Ashtiani who is facing execution by stoning.
Celebrities such as singer Jane Birkin and philosopher
Bernard-Henri Levy as well as political leaders attended the
rally on the central Place de la Republique.
"Other women are at risk of stoning, but Sakineh has
become a symbol despite herself," Levy told the crowd.
"If we save this innocent person, we will help to save
all the other women who are waiting in the corridors of death,
and we will avenge those who have been stoned to death or
Iranian authorities last week said that the sentence
against 43-year-old Mohammadi-Ashtiani to death by stoning for
adultery had been suspended since July.
She has also received a 10-year jail term for
participating in her husband`s murder.
Rights groups and increasingly Western leaders have
criticised the sentencing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Premier League 2016 Final: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Sunrisers Hyderabad — Players to watch out for
- Lionel Messi Injury Video: Witness the moment that scared everyone
- Those with illegal money to be prosecuted: Jaitley on Panama Papers
- 10 killed in Bangladesh poll violence
- Watch: Now make a call just by squeezing your smartphone!