French soldier killed by Al Shebab in Somalia
Paris: A French soldier who went missing during a rescue operation to free a hostage in Somalia was apparently killed by Al Qaeda-linked group Al Shebab, Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Monday.
"Everything leads us to believe that the hostage and missed soldier were killed," Xinhua quoted Le Drian as telling the BFMTV news channel.
He said the Al Shebab was also preparing to do something "gruesome" and "outrageous" with the bodies.
The minister earlier said that one soldier was killed and another went missing during an operation to release secret agent Denis Alex held in Somalia by the Al Shebab since 2009.
The soldier was wounded when French commandos Saturday attacked the site in southern Somalia where they believed Alex was held.
The French news channel earlier reported that a spokesman of Al Shebab announced the death of the wounded French soldier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!