French soldier killed in Mali clash with radicals
Paris: A French soldier was killed today in a clash with terrorists in northern Mali where the French are in the midst of a critical operation, President Francois Hollande announced.
A Defence Ministry statement said that nearly 20 extremists have been killed in the ongoing fighting.
The death of the French Foreign Legionnaire brings to two the number of French killed since France, Mali`s one-time colonial ruler, launched a military intervention on January 11 to push out militants who had taken over the African country`s vast north. A helicopter pilot was killed on the first day of the intervention.
The operation in a mountainous region where extremists are holed up is in its "last phase," the president said.
"At this moment we have special forces who are in the north of Mali and who are intervening in a zone that is particularly delicate, which is the Ifoghas mountain range, where terror groups are holed up," he said during a visit to Greece.
"There was a serious clash with several deaths on the side of the terrorists, but also a death on the French side," Hollande said, adding that the soldier killed came from a Legionnaire parachute regiment.
The French-led operation is aimed at preventing the extremists from taking over all of Mali and destabilising the west African region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest