French troops may begin Afghan withdrawal in 2011: Minister

Last Updated: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 17:26

Paris: France and some allied NATO armies
could begin to withdraw some of their forces from the conflict
in Afghanistan as early as 2011, Defence Minister Herve Morin
said on Thursday.

"There`s a fixed date for NATO in the framework of its
new strategy, that`s the start of 2011, because in 2011 we`re
going to transfer a whole series of districts to the Afghans,"
he told RTL radio.

"At that moment, there could be the first movements or
first withdrawals of Allied forces from Afghanistan. In any
case, that`s the calendar set by Barack Obama, that in 2011
the first American troops could quit Afghanistan.

"And that`s what a certain number of European
countries have started to say," he explained, insisting that
this has nothing to do with a threat issued against France
yesterday by Islamist militant kingpin Osama bin Laden.

Asked whether the threat, contained in an audiotape
broadcast by the Arab satellite channel Al-Jazeera, was
genuine, Morin said: "We`re still in the course of trying to
authenticate it. It`s too soon to say.

"It`s not impossible," he added. "All of our services
and all of allies believe Osama bin Laden is alive."

In the tape, the apparent voice of Bin Laden warns
that, by sending troops to fight in Afghanistan and by banning
the Islamic full face veil on its own territory, France had
left itself open to retaliation.

He also said that last month`s kidnap of five French
nationals from the uranium mining town of Arlit in Niger by
Al-Qaeda`s North African wing had been intended as a warning.

Two French journalists have been held hostage by
suspected insurgents in Afghanistan for more than 300 days,
but Bin Laden did not refer to them.

Morin insisted that France`s decision to begin looking
towards the exit in Afghanistan from next year had "absolutely
no link" to any threat.

"Radical Islamist movements always invoke our presence
in Afghanistan, it is a frequent demand," he said, recalling
that French troops have been on the ground since 2001 and have
lost 50 of their comrades fighting there.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 17:26

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus