French TV host’s ‘Fukushima’ joke angers Japan
Paris: A French television host has drawn criticism for showing a composite picture of Japanese goalkeeper, Eiji Kawashima, with four arms and citing the ‘Fukushima effect’ when praising him for his performance in a match between Japan and France in a recent match.
The Japanese Embassy in Paris has planned to lodge a protest with France about the remark made by host Laurent Ruquier, according to sources.
According to the Japan Times, during a variety show aired on Saturday night, Ruquier said Japan had a wonderful keeper in Kawashima when he touched on the previous day’s soccer match, in which Japan defeated France 1-0.
A composite photo of Kawashima with four arms then appeared on the screen and the host said he thought it was the ‘Fukushima effect’, apparently alluding to the nuclear disaster, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'