French TV host’s ‘Fukushima’ joke angers Japan
Paris: A French television host has drawn criticism for showing a composite picture of Japanese goalkeeper, Eiji Kawashima, with four arms and citing the ‘Fukushima effect’ when praising him for his performance in a match between Japan and France in a recent match.
The Japanese Embassy in Paris has planned to lodge a protest with France about the remark made by host Laurent Ruquier, according to sources.
According to the Japan Times, during a variety show aired on Saturday night, Ruquier said Japan had a wonderful keeper in Kawashima when he touched on the previous day’s soccer match, in which Japan defeated France 1-0.
A composite photo of Kawashima with four arms then appeared on the screen and the host said he thought it was the ‘Fukushima effect’, apparently alluding to the nuclear disaster, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS