French TV host’s ‘Fukushima’ joke angers Japan
Paris: A French television host has drawn criticism for showing a composite picture of Japanese goalkeeper, Eiji Kawashima, with four arms and citing the ‘Fukushima effect’ when praising him for his performance in a match between Japan and France in a recent match.
The Japanese Embassy in Paris has planned to lodge a protest with France about the remark made by host Laurent Ruquier, according to sources.
According to the Japan Times, during a variety show aired on Saturday night, Ruquier said Japan had a wonderful keeper in Kawashima when he touched on the previous day’s soccer match, in which Japan defeated France 1-0.
A composite photo of Kawashima with four arms then appeared on the screen and the host said he thought it was the ‘Fukushima effect’, apparently alluding to the nuclear disaster, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highest paid actress or not? Kangana Ranaut charged Rs 3 cr for 'Rangoon'
- PM Modi to launch BJP govt's two-year anniversary celebrations, releases 'Transforming India' anthem's video
- 7th Pay Commission: Doctors in govt hospitals in Delhi go on strike
- Jacqueline Fernandez oozes sensuality in plunging neckline – See Pics
- Africa Day event to be held today after India allays 'Afrophobia' fears: Report