French TV host’s ‘Fukushima’ joke angers Japan
Paris: A French television host has drawn criticism for showing a composite picture of Japanese goalkeeper, Eiji Kawashima, with four arms and citing the ‘Fukushima effect’ when praising him for his performance in a match between Japan and France in a recent match.
The Japanese Embassy in Paris has planned to lodge a protest with France about the remark made by host Laurent Ruquier, according to sources.
According to the Japan Times, during a variety show aired on Saturday night, Ruquier said Japan had a wonderful keeper in Kawashima when he touched on the previous day’s soccer match, in which Japan defeated France 1-0.
A composite photo of Kawashima with four arms then appeared on the screen and the host said he thought it was the ‘Fukushima effect’, apparently alluding to the nuclear disaster, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview