French woman fined for driving while wearing Islamic veil
Paris: A French woman who was driving while wearing an Islamic full-body veil was stopped by police in the city of Nantes and fined EUR 22 (USD 29), Europe 1 radio reported on Friday.
The police officer stopped her to check her identity, and she complied by uncovering her face. He then issued the fine because the facial veil allegedly reduced her field of vision.
The 31-year-old woman, who has been wearing the veil for nine years, charged this was discrimination and said she intended to file a complaint.
The incident occurred as the French government was preparing a draft bill to ban the wearing of the all-body veil. The ban is to be part of a general public order law that will outlaw wearing any kind of facial covering in public.
Prime Minister Francois Fillon said on Thursday he will engage a special procedure to ensure that the ban becomes law before summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details