Frenchman sentenced to death in China on drugs charge
Beijing: A Chinese court has sentenced a French national and his Chinese accomplice to death on drugs manufacturing and trafficking charges, French consular officials and state media said on Tuesday.
Chan Thao Phoumy, who was born in Laos but now has French citizenship, was handed the death penalty on Saturday by a court in the southern city of Guangzhou, officials at the French consulate in the city told AFP.
The Frenchman had been sentenced to life in prison in 2007 in connection with a crystal meth ring operating in Guangdong province, on the border with Hong Kong, and the central province of Henan, the China Daily reported.
But he faced a new trial after "additional crimes were uncovered" while he was in prison, resulting in the death penalty, the official newspaper said, without specifying the new crimes.
His Chinese accomplice, Xie Weiming, was also sentenced to death, the report said. Two others were given death sentences with a two-year reprieve, which are often commuted to life sentences in China.
Drugs laws are extremely strict in China, and those convicted of smuggling, selling, transporting or producing more than 50 grams of heroin or methamphetamine face the death penalty, according to state media.
Several foreigners have been executed in China in recent months on drugs charges, sparking concern and protests from their home countries.
In December, China executed Briton Akmal Shaikh, a 53-year-old father of three convicted of drug smuggling. Supporters said he was mentally ill and London repeatedly urged Beijing to grant clemency.
Four Japanese drug smugglers were executed in northeastern China in April.
A court in southern China sentenced a South African woman to death for drugs offences in April, Xinhua said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah