Fresh charge against Ukraine`s Tymoshenko
Kiev: Prosecutors filed a fresh charge against Ukraine`s former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko, the embattled politician said on Friday.
"They have lodged an additional charge, of embezzling 960,000 hryvnias (EUR 92,000, USD 120,000)," Tymoshenko told the Interfax-Ukraine news agency. She already faces a charge of abuse of power.
The sum in question had been paid by the government to the state bank into the Ukraine Treasury`s account, she said.
On the first charge alone, she faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted.
Earlier on Friday, Tymoshenko said the authorities had arrested another of her former ministers, Yevhen Korniychuk, in what she called the "revenge of the mafia”.
"Today they are doing away with all those who have deprived them of shady dishonest earnings and income," Tymoshenko told reporters, referring to the authorities.
"Korniychuk is one of them," she added, in comments released by her Batkivshchyna party. He served as her first deputy justice minister.
Last week, a Ukrainian court ordered the arrest of another former Tymoshenko associate and former minister Georgii Filipchuk who is now being investigated for abuse of power while in office.
"We are in touch with the lawyers of all the persecuted people from our team, we know how the events are developing and we can say that all the people who have now been detained, who are now behind bars -- this is direct revenge of the mafia," Tymoshenko said, referring to President Viktor Yanukovych`s government.
Last week, Tymoshenko herself was placed under investigation for abuse of power and ordered not to leave Kiev.
Tymoshenko says the original charge against her, which also involved the misappropriation of government money, concerns EUR 320 million (USD 425 million) allotted for environmental spending that had not been used.
She said she had it transferred to cover the country`s massive pension arrears.
Yanukovych himself said on Friday he was not sure that the inquiry against Tymoshenko would come to court.
"If in the course of the inquiry her innocence is proven, this question will no longer be on the agenda," he told Ukrainian television.
"If however there is a trial, it is in our interests that it is fair," he added.
In February, Tymoshenko lost a hard-fought Presidential Election battle to Yanukovych, leading her to step down as prime minister in early March and go into opposition.
Since then she has accused Yanukovych of repeated attempts to silence her and sharply criticised his policies, particularly his efforts to build closer ties with Soviet-era master Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception