Fresh clashes between Malian troops and Islamist extremists
Gao: Severe ongoing clashes were reported between Malian troops and suspected Islamists extremists here as per reports. The clashes between the two sides began near the central police station but have now spread to heavy gunfire on the streets, as per a BBC report.
The clashes have taken place a day after a suicide bomber blew himself at about 11 pm at a checkpoint to enter the city, the second such attack in this northern Malian city since Friday. The bomber set off the explosive belt he was wearing, killing himself and injuring a Malian soldier.
The explosion occurred in the same place where an earlier suicide bomber killed himself on Friday morning.
France intervened in its former colony on Jan 11, after the Islamic militants began pushing south, raising alarm that they were inching closer toward the capital.
France has said that it wants to hand over responsibility to the Malian military and other African nations that have contributed troops. It also has raised with the United Nations Security Council the possibility of establishing a UN peacekeeping operation in Mali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!