Fresh fight impedes relief efforts in South Sudan: UNICEF
Nairobi: Fresh fighting in South Sudan is hampering humanitarian efforts to help children as the emergency in the world`s newest nation risks becoming overwhelming, the Unicef said Monday.
The UN children`s fund said despite the signing of an agreement to cease hostilities at the end of January In Ethiopia, fighting between government and opposition forces has increased in recent weeks displacing thousands of people in the country, Xinhua reported.
"Already there are hundreds of thousands of women, children and men with limited access to safe drinking water, sanitation, nutrition and shelter," Ted Chaiban, Unicef`s Director of Emergency Programmes said in a statement received in Nairobi.
"Under such conditions, children are especially vulnerable to disease outbreaks and severe food insecurity," Chaiban added.
Nearly 900,000 people -- half of them children -- have already been forced from their homes in South Sudan.
According to Unicef, there are now fears that 30,000 or more civilians may be freshly displaced.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!